Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pasta and Garden Vegetable Tomato Sauce (with Sausage)

I've been slacking. It's not that I haven't been cooking; it's just that I haven't posted in a while. Admittedly, this recipe is from LAST WEEK. But life has been incredibly busy and hectic and here I am, a week later...

I'm Italian, and much of what I cook is based upon one thing: carbohydrates. Pasta. I eat a lot of pasta. I cook with a lot of pasta.  This recipe was no exception.  It was so easy to make.

Pasta and Garden Vegetable Tomato Sauce (with Sausage)

Ingredients
1/2 box of pasta (I used Ronzoni Garden Delight)
1 can of chopped tomato with extra puree
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
3 turkey sausage links, sliced
2 cups of zucchini, sliced
1/2 cup red pearl onions
2 tbsp. olive oil
Basil
Salt and pepper
Oregano


1. Boil 4 cups of water with a pinch of salt. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta. Cook as directed on box.  
2. Heat the olive oil and 1/2 of the minced garlic in a sauce pot. While heating, puree the chopped tomato in a blender. Add the pureed tomato to the sauce pot. Bring to a rapid boil.  

3. Spray a frying pan with cooking spray. Once heated, add the sliced turkey sausage to the pan, as well as the other half of the minced garlic.  Cook until golden brown.  Drain fat.

4. Set the sauce on medium heat, and add the sausage to the sauce. Season to taste with basil, salt, pepper, and oregano.

5. Chop the mushrooms and zucchini.  Saute them, as well as the onions, for 4-6 minutes, or until tender.  Add to the sauce. Cook on medium heat for 5 more minutes.
  
6. Enjoy!

PointsPlus value: 9 (makes 3 servings)

1 comment: