Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Going Greek

I think that secretly, I want to be Greek.  I have always loved the culture and the history and the myths...but mostly I have loved the food.  The first time I tried Greek cuisine, I was in New York, visiting my uncle. I can't remember everything we ate, but I do remember two things: avgolemono and tzatziki. Since then, I've been in love with the two of them.  Whenever I go for Greek, I always get avgolemono and tzatziki.

I love them so much that I decided it was time for me to make them. 

Tzatziki

I tackled tzatziki first.  Tzatziki is a cucumber and Greek yogurt-based condiment.  It's used as the sauce in a gyro or souvlaki.  But it's also excellent as just a dip with pita. And the best part of tzatziki? It's incredibly easy to make.
Ingredients
Greek yogurt (I prefer Chobani, plain...get the big tub, fat-free)
2 cucumbers
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1 tbsp. freshly chopped dill
Salt
Lemon juice
Pita (I like the pitettes...the are the perfect dipping size)

1. Peel the cucumbers. Slice them in half, length-wise. Using a small spoon, scoop out the seeds.


2. Chop the cucumber into small pieces. Use a paper towel to pat the cucumber and soak up extra water. Leave the cucumber pieces in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let it drain out for about 30 minutes. The more water you can eke out of the cucumber, the better.

3. In a food processor, combine the cucumber, the minced garlic, the lemon juice, the olive oil, and the dill. Process until the ingredients are well blended. The ingredients should be thick if you have properly drained the cucumber (I did not the first time I made it).



4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ingredients from the food processor with the Greek yogurt.  Mix until well-blended.  

5. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving, to allow the flavors to blend together.  Serve with warm pitas and vegetables for dipping.


PointsPlus value: 2 (1/2 cup per serving)
 Avgolemono

Avoglemono is kind of like a Greek version of chicken soup...infused with lemon and dill.  The egg makes it thicker. It's perfect when the weather is starting to get cooler, or when you are getting a cold...or for both, which is what happened to me last week.  This is a recipe adapted from "Just 5: 125 Recipes with 5 Ingredients" from Weight Watchers.

Ingredients
1 large chicken breast, cubed
1 carton of vegetable broth (32 ounces)
1 cup orzo
4 large eggs (or the equivalent in egg whites)
1 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill

 1. Cook the chicken thoroughly.

2. Bring 2 cups of water and the carton of vegetable broth to a boil.  Once the liquid has boiled, add the orzo and return to a rapid boil.  Lower heat and cook until orzo are tender.


3. While the orzo is cooking, add the egg, lemon juice, and black pepper to a bowl.  Whisk lightly.  Stir 2 tablespoons of hot broth into the mixture. Pour the egg mixture slowly into the simmering soup. Stir constantly until the egg is cooked thoroughly, and forms thin strands. Use dill as a garnish. 


PointsPlus value: 5 (makes 4 servings)

...and that's all. They're two delicious but totally simple recipes. So what are you waiting for? Go make them! Opa!

1 comment:

  1. OK, so I too love Greek food and I had never heard of that soup... So I gave it a try (with a twist, I used quinoa instead of orzo since I didn't have orzo at home). It is so good!! I am going to try it next time I go to a Greek place. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete