Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Existentialist thoughts about hosting

I'm having a "I wonder what if" moment..."what if" can be dangerous, but it can also be fanciful.  My "what if" of the moment was brought about by my recent venture in hosting a New Year's Eve gathering. It was the first time that I've hosted anything as high-staked as New Year's Eve, but I tried to think of it as a vehicle for further culinary experimentation.  Well, that...and just the fact that I love throwing together a fabulous shindig. 

A (very large) part of me (strongly) believes that in another world, I would be an event planner.  There are few things I enjoy as much as hosting an event.  I love organizing everything: from creating the menu, to compiling the guest list, to cultivating a welcoming atmosphere...and especially to the presentation of the event.

It's part of the reason I love interior design...decorating, finding themes, making a room just click. It's part of the reason I love being around people, bringing them together, building relationships.  It's part of the reason I love organizing and producing....

But this blog isn't about any of that...it's about cooking.  And cooking is one of the biggest reasons I love hosting parties and events! 

Presentation of food
My favorite part is the presentation of the food.  Nothing says "party" or "event" like a spread of food on coordinating platters and trays.  Food arrangement is the most important aspect of presentation.  Maybe it's the photographer in me, but I value symmetry in my food arrangement.  Pieces of hors d'oeuvres, arranged in concentric circles on a circular platter...perfection!  But on the other hand, I also value asymmetry: contrasting colors, textures, flavors. 

One great tip from this excellent article on food photography is to "pay attention not only to the arrangement of the food itself but to the context you put it in."  I think I try to do that organically, placing food off-center, or on a plain background, or blurring the background (thank you, depth of field...I have learned to master you).  These tactics give the food personality in the photograph.

I also take most of my pictures on automatic settings on the camera (as opposed to manual settings...which I'm still learning how to manipulate).  The two that I use most frequently are the "food" setting and the "macro" setting.  The food setting brings out the colors and textures of the food, whereas the macro really allows you to get up close and personal with the food. I really love my camera.

My Nikon D5000.
Also, one more quick photography tip from the aforementioned article (by Darren Rowse): Get down low.  "In most cases you'll get a more better shot by shooting from down close to plate level (or slightly above it)."

Preparation
I derive a sort of pleasure from all of the preparation that goes into hosting events...from the guest list to the menu.  From the shopping trips, to the chopping block. One thing that mildly delays my preparation process is the photography during the process...but it's totally worth it in the end...


Inability to delegate
Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I have a small issue when it comes to delegating. Basically, if I do it, I know it is done right.  And if it's not, then I have no one to blame but myself.  This is apparently true when it comes to cooking.  My best friend stayed with a me a few nights, coming to Jacksonville to ring in the New Year with me.  And bless her heart, she tried valiantly to help me in the preparation of all of the food.  But I need to do everything myself...from the dicing and mincing, to the mixing and pouring, to the baking and arranging.

As one of my closest friends just said to me while we were talking on the phone, my inability to delegate while cooking only "enables [my] control-freak tendencies."  Well, thank you. 

To be fair, I did have to delegate towards the end, and relinquish some of my control.  I allowed two of my friends to help with the plate arrangement since I was running out of time and I had to get dressed.  I mean, I had to look stunning when my guests arrived!

Sense of accomplishment
The biggest reason I really love to cook for events is the sense of accomplishment you get when your guests go home, fully satisfied.  I'm not going to lie; I'm a material person in the sense that in order to feel like I have accomplished something, I have to have something tangible to show for it.  That's why performing arts and I didn't work out; I could perform a monologue, but I couldn't hold the performance in my hand; but I can hold up a pie and say "I baked this."

Even though art and photography have a material output, the cool thing about food, which makes it so unique (in my humble opinion) is that it's more than just tactile.  It appeals to more than just touch; it captivates most of the senses...touch, taste, smell, sight.  Cooking gives me the most satisfaction because it's the most sensory.


The Menu
I know you're probably disappointed that there are no recipes in this existential rambling entry, but there was so much food for New Year's that I needed to give them all their own sort of introduction.

I made a few ol' standbys, like melon wrapped in prosciutto; hummus; tabouli; and fondue.  Some are found elsewhere in this blog, including bruschetta and tzatziki.

But over the course of the next two weeks, expect to see some recipes for the following:
  • Nacho Shrimp Bites
  • Devilish Eggs (yes, devilish, not deviled)
  • Raspberry Linzorte Cookies
My best wishes to you all for a happy and healthy New Year! Try something new...like, some awesome new recipes!

And while you're at it...check out the blog on Twitter! Picture Perfect Plating on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment