Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Chicken Pesto Salad

I like pesto. A lot.

Maybe it's because I'm Italian, but there's just something innately...amazing about pesto. I love the contrast of the basil and the cream and cheese. And just a hint of pine nuts.  I enjoy making my own pesto, especially when it comes to pasta. Pesto is amazing paired with ravioli or gnocchi.

But if I'm making a meal that requires something more...spreadable...I typically use Buitoni Reduced Fat Pesto.  It worked perfectly in this chicken pesto salad. I got a seal of approval from some friends who sampled the chicken in a sandwich. It puts a twist on the classic chicken salad sandwich.  Confession: this is totally a Weight Watchers recipe...thank you, WW!  Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 tbsp reduced-fat pesto sauce
2 tsp reduced fat mayonnaise
2 tsp plain fat-free Greek yogurt
4 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 tbsp roasted red peppers
2 Nature's Own Sandwich Rounds (Whole Wheat)
1 cup(s) spinach leaves
1 medium tomato, sliced

1. Cut chicken breast into cubes and cook.


2. In a medium bowl, stir together pesto, mayonnaise and Greek yogurt until well blended.


3. Stir in chicken and peppers; toss until coated.


4. Top a slice of each of the sandwich rounds with 1/2 cup spinach, half of tomato slices and 2/3 cup chicken salad. Top with remaining half of the sandwich round.


Points Plus value: 7 (1 Sandwich; recipe makes 2)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment