Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming: Mexican casserole with cilantro creme

I was gently reminded this evening that I have been a bit remiss in my posts. My apologies. I realize that my lack of posting coincides with a major life event: becoming a mother to my loveable, adorable kitten, Austen.  Since he's a kitten,  he keeps me on my toes. He requires a lot of love and attention.

But don't worry. This doesn't mean I've stopped partaking in culinary adventures. While I haven't posted in a while (nearly seven weeks...yikes!), I have still been experimenting.  So, to get me back on track, one of my favorite recipes: a Mexican casserole with cilantro creme!

Ingredients
1/2 box (4 ounces) whole wheat/multigrain pasta (I prefer rotini, but that's just me. I made it with penne this time)
12 ounces lean ground turkey
1 can black beans, drained (15 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 oz)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup salsa
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I use a Mexican cheese blend)
1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (or sour cream...I just use the yogurt to lower the points)
Cilantro (to taste)
Shredded lime peel (as garnish)
Lime wedges

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook pasta according to directions on the box. Once it is cooked, drain it, then set it aside.

2. In a large skillet, combine meat and garlic. Cook until turkey is well done. Drain the fat from the skillet. 

3. Stir the meat into the pasta. Add beans, tomatoes, salsa, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Once well combined, transfer the contents to a casserole dish.

4. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated through.

5. Uncover the dish, sprinkle the cheese on top. Continue to bake, uncovered, for another 3-5 minutes (or until the cheese is melted). 

6. Top with sour cream/Greek yogurt. Sprinkle lime peel and cilantro on top as garnishes. Feel free to add some of the lime juice to the mixture. 


I made this dish for the first time about a year ago; I make it at least once a month now. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Again, apologies for the absence. I promise to do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment