Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Skinny Mashed Potatoes

After joining Weight Watchers, my entire relationship with food changed.  Yes, I still have the cravings and I still want to binge every once in a while. But for the most part, I eat entirely different now. There are more whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. There are leaner proteins, less red meat, and more fish.

I don't know why I used to eat as much as I did, but once I embraced the philosophy that "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels," it became easier to handle.  So now, I may not always eat "skinny" but I try to think "skinny" thoughts. And so, I give you "Skinny" Mashed Potatoes.

First of all, skinny mashed potatoes are not made with potatoes. They are made from cauliflower, which is a pretty good starchy substitute...with zero points on Weight Watchers.  It's not the first time, I've used cauliflower as a substitute for something (see Devilish Eggs). When I'm in the mood for macaroni and cheese, I usually eat some cauliflower and cheese instead.

Second, the first time I made this recipe, I failed. I hate to admit it, but I did. I tried getting away with some short cuts, and I wound up with a watery, lumpy mess.  So, when the recipe says to take time to drain and dry the cauliflower, do it. And when it says to use a food processor to mash it all up, follow those directions, ok?


Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower
1 oz. Weight Watchers creamed cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste


1. Wash the cauliflower thoroughly. Chop up into florets.


2. In a large pot, boil cauliflower for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and tender. Drain the cauliflower and pat dry with a paper towel.


3. Immediately transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. It should still be warm at this point (try not to let it cool off).  Add cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, and salt and pepper.


4. Puree the ingredients together until it is smooth and creamy.


Enjoy these mashed "potatoes" guilt-free!!  It makes approximately four servings, but it was so delicious that I went back for seconds.

Points Plus value: 2 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment